Monday, August 9, 2010

my desert mission

It's hard to believe that I've been home for a month already! and boy, has it been a busy month!
Most of my friends knew I was traveling to the desert, but a few didn't. I spent a week, along with 40 other Jacksonvillians, in Dubai. yep, that's in the Middle East. We served overeseas aid workers. I was able to share my skills as a hairstylist to bless these faithful servants. We did about 60 haircuts and 20 hair colors. Below is a picture of the space we used as our hair salon. For the M's, it was like being in a salon back in the states. The ladies were chatting, the blow dryer was going, that hair product smell, and we even had People Magazine. :) The M's loved it. They were so appreciative. They kept expressing their gratefulness....although, I feel like I was the one receiving the blessing. When the M's were in my chair, I was able to hear their hearts. and their stories. Such a blessing! Many of the M's have a two day drive into a city. TWO DAY! For things like groceries, supplies....or a simple haircut. I was even able to teach a few ladies how to cut their husband's or son's hair.
Honestly, I can't imagine what it would be like to have that calling on my life. but I could tell that it was only out of a grateful heart that they answer the call. It's hard, and there are risks, but there is no greater joy than serving our loving Father.
This the conference room where the M's met daily for the week:
(there were about 160 total)

Besides working with the M's, the desert was my favorite part of the trip. I didn't want to go out to the desert, but Jill (above) and Jean covinced me to go. I am so glad! The desert was beautiful! BEAUTIFUL! The sand was such a pretty rusty-orange color. The desert just went on as far as the eye could see. It made me feel so small... and just made God even more amazing.
The World's tallest builing, The Burj Khalifa.

No comments: