Friday, February 11, 2011

do you coupon?

so, do you coupon?
Have you seen or heard of the crazy amounts of money people are saving at the grocery or large retail stores!? I have made it my new hobby to coupon...to save at the register. I want to fill my pantry on a dime. :)
I'm starting to get the hang of it. Now, I've never gone to the grocery and purchased $100 worth of groceries and only pay $10...but it's possible, apparently. I've heard it can be done. I did, however, only spend $90 on $150 worth of groceries today. I'm pretty excited about that. It like a game! A Thrifty Mom has a list of helpful coupon 101 tips. The best deals are when you can get the store buy-one-get-one with coupons on top of that. AND... I just learned that you use a coupon on the free item also! So clip or print 2 coupons.
It does take a few minutes each week to plan meals and organize coupons, but it's worth it! I look at both, Publix and WinnDixie, ads to see where the deals are, then pair my coupons with the best deals.
If you do coupon, share you tips with me!

3 comments:

Stephanie Frahm said...

Hey Karen! Stephanie Frahm here! I have been couponing like this for quite a while. Last year I saved over $7000 dollars. I just wanted to list some of my favorite sites and blogs. Have fun and good for you!
www.afullcup.com
www.hotcouponworld.com
www.commonsensewithmoney.com
www.couponingtodisney.com
www.moneysavingmom.com

Jessica said...

I don't really coupon... sometimes but rarely! For me it just doesn't seem to fit our lifestyle because I rarely buy any processed food or prepackaged items. My focus is to make everthing from scratch, and I truely mean scratch, (the other night i made my own BBQ sauce from tomato sauce, brown sugar and vinger... salt, pepper etc.) so I buy in bulk from wholesale or local food co-ops. etc. 50lb bags of flour, 20lb bags of sugar, and 1 pound bag of spices all of which is usually organic. If we want Chocolate Chip cookies they are homemade, cranberry muffins, cinnamon rolls etc.

Our meat products 99% of the time come from the butcher shop, we just recieved a freezer pig for Christmas our eggs and milk come from the neighbor for now until I get my own COW! I also hardly ever buy butter and make it on my ownand are planing to raise our own beef and pigs this year...

My big plan for this year is to plant tomatoes LOTS of tomatoes and make spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce... plan tomato puree, whole tomatoes and can them all which will really cost nothing but seed price's which is cheaper than a good can of spaghetti sauce.
This is just a view from homestading and much different enviroment that we are striving for, but it also takes a lot more time I spend at least 3+ hours in the kitchen on most days and this summer I will spend a lot of time in the garden.

My goal is to gather all the veggies I grow in my garden and stock my root cellar with all that we will need for a year.

I hope to blog my progress thru the summer! Happy coupon hunting, if you find some good one's send them my way... I have an upcoming thrifty project in the works, I'll blog about it when it's complete! :-)

Emilee said...

Karen,
Couponing is my new OBSESSION! Its amazing how much money you can save :) There is a few blogs I follow funfrugalfortune.com (shes from jacksonville & lives in mandarin)
iheartpublix.com
I also do swagbucks which is pretty cool its like a goggle search engine & you earn points & then can but things with you points. Love that too!
GOOD LUCK! HAPPY SAVING FRIEND